The COVID-19 pandemic has brought about unprecedented challenges and difficult circumstances to operate in. However, it has also created grounds for criminals and criminal organizations seeking to exploit the situation, increasing the risks of money laundering and terrorism financing.
Criminals have clearly taken advantage of the global pandemic itself, but are also preparing to exploit the long-term effect of the economic crisis. Subject person are advise to stay up to date on the latest trends.
Special attention is being drawn by the FIAU to particular aspects of the AML/CFT regime, mainly;
- Revising the Business Risk Assessment
- Updating the Customer Risk Assessment
- On Boarding Customer in full compliance with AML/CFT Regulation and procedures at all times
- Carry out appropriate ongoing monitoring
- Use of Identity certification software or platform ( remote onboarding procedures)
- Assess transaction and activity for red flags and immediate report STR’s to the FIAU
In view of this, the FIAU has issued a guidance document to provide advice to subject persons based on current and anticipated threats, address arising concerns, and reminding subject persons to remain vigilant in the face of ML/FT risks.
Access the Guidance Note by visiting : https://bit.ly/3cgtp2O